Friday, June 19, 2009

Ain't that a kick in the head?

Sorry guys for my delay in writing, we got a virus on the computer (must have been swine flu) and it has been out of action until yesterday when my brother in law Paul kindly came and rescued it. It worked out well because Rhea was here already baby sitting Nickie so we all ended up having dinner together and then Rhea and Paul were able to go home together.

Yesterday was embryo transfer day. I got up early and went and had some acupuncture and then Brad and I went together to the clinic to have the transfer. The embryo thawed beautifully so we were both relieved and thankful. The procedure had a minor hiccup though but all went well in the end. You see the embryo itself is microscopic so you can't see it with the naked eye. A catheter tube containing the embryo and some fluid is inserted into the cervix and the fluid is flushed through in the hope that the embryo will go along with the fluid out of the tube and into the uterus. After they flush the tube the lab technician quickly looks at it under a microscope to make sure the embryo has definitely left the tube as you wouldn't know by looking with the naked eye. When they checked our tube the embryo hadn't left it, and so the process had to be repeated. They checked it the second time and it was all clear, so in the end it got there, but it was a bit nerve wracking at the time. The doctor was quick to assure us that this does not affect the embryo in any way and it does happen quite a lot. He said if anything it is a positive sign because it means the embryo is strong and sticky! Here's hoping.

I went and did a second session of acupuncture for after the transfer to help the embryo implant and strengthen the uterus lining. This is what I did when we did the embryo tranfer that ended up being Nickie and obviously it worked well so we thought we would do everything the same. Then home we went and I spent most of the rest of the day resting on the couch.

Rhea came to babysit Nickie and she did an absolutely fabulous job. She was very nervous to start she said, but she soon worked things out and we arrived home to find her on the couch having a cup of tea and Nickie was fast asleep in bed! She said it was a great idea to have a practice run and she now feels really good about motherhood! haha

Ok so here is the big piece of news that has prompted today's post title. I can't believe what I wrote in my last post regarding my sister, because Mum rang last night to inform me that she is pregnant. This just goes to show how well I know her thoughts and what she is like. I just so didn't need to hear news like that. After spending my day at an IVF clinic, I didn't need to hear that my sister who treats her children like they are an inconvenience, and who can't even look after her own life, let alone her children's has been blessed with yet another child, while Brad and I who are perfectly capable and I feel deserving, and we would be so appreciative of being able to have more children, well we might not be able to. What are you doing, God????? I wish I knew. He must have some amazing reason but I just wish I knew what it was. It is just feeling like a complete slap in the face right now.

Well I better go as I am writing this at work in between doing some accounts haha.

Love to all, have a wonderful weekend! By the way I just realised I forgot to say, pregnancy test day is June 30. We shall see!!!

1 comment:

twondra said...

Good luck sweetie! I hope this is it!!!

So sorry about your sister. :( It does make you question God's reasonings, doesn't it?