Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Any day now...

Before I continue on with today's post I just want to update you all on Cate. I still don't know what's going on as I haven't spoken with Cate other than some text messages because she is still not in a frame of mind to speak with anyone. I received a text from her yesterday saying she is flying in to Melbourne for the weekend as she wants to be near her family at the moment. She has asked me to come see her on Sunday night so she can talk with me and fill me in on what's happening. I am very scared about what she is going to tell me and so because Sunday is such a long way away I am trying not to think about it. This is not because I don't care, it's because I care a lot and don't want to make myself sick with worry. My philosophy is that I may as well get through this week, hear Cate's news on Sunday and then deal with it then when I know what's going on. I wish someone: her boyfriend or her family would give me a call to let me in on what's happening instead of making me sit and wait and worry for a whole week but then when I say that aloud it sounds very selfish. So I have decided to just let it be and we will see what the future holds on Sunday. Please continue to pray for Cate.

Onto something nicer - as I said I am trying to get through the week with some sense of normality - Rhea is due on Dec 11 so she only has a short time left of her pregnancy. She saw her OB last Fri and he said "your next appointment is in a week's time but I have a feeling I'll see you again before then!" so we are thinking it could be any day that we welcome a little baby boy into our family. She is feeling pretty nervous about the labour, yet very excited. She can't wait to be a Mum. It will be really nice to be an aunty again. I do have a neice and nephew (my sister's kids) but because of the situation with my sister I don't get to see them much at all. I really do miss them a lot. I also have some inherited neices and nephews courtesy of Brad's other sister, Kaye. They live in another state though and I have only met both Kaye and her kids a handful of times. Brad and Kaye have never been close like he and Rhea are as there is an age gap of about 15 years between them. Brad's father was married to Kaye's mother and then she passed away from cancer. Quite a while after that Brad's father remarried and had Rhea and Brad with his new wife. So Brad and Rhea's mother is not Kaye's mother. Combined with the age gap there is all that "I'm only a half sister" kind of silly jealousy that happens sometimes in families. Kaye has always thought that Rhea and Brad were closer and excluded her etc. Brad has told me they probably did exclude her a bit when they were kids, but not in a horrible way like that. Only in the innocent way that kids of a certain age are going to automatically want to play with other kids closer to that age. When you are 2 you don't want to play with a 15 year old. Anyway they do get on now that everyone is an adult, but there is a bit of tension there and they will never be close buddies.

We are very anxious to hear the name of the new baby as we do know he is a boy, but Rhea and Paul have kept his name a secret. I think they actually have really enjoyed teasing me saying "haha we know something you don't know" because I am so impatient to know everything and even though I love surprises I don't do waiting very well! haha So as well as seeing my new nephew, I am dying to know what his name is going to be. He has some presents wrapped under our Christmas tree with no name on the tag because I am waiting to know what name to write! I also can't wait to see Nickie playing with his cousin in time to come. I hope they will get on and be great friends.

Lastly - some other exciting news: Brad has for the last 6 months been completing a course to become a driving instructor. I am very proud of him because he has worked very hard. This Saturday is his last class and his big exam and then if he passes he will finally be a qualified instructor. He has an interview lined up for next week with one of the major driving schools here in Melbourne. They are very interested in hiring him. I have everything crossed he will pass and that everything will go well and he will get that job. Because it is a complete career change for him it feels a bit nerve wracking too. I hope that when he becomes an instructor that he loves it and also that it pays the bills. I really want him to be happy but of course we need to eat and pay the mortgage too haha. So fingers crossed for all that is happening on that front too.

Have a good week everyone. Happy December!

1 comment:

Kami said...

I will be praying for your friend honey. The fact that she isn't sharing anything over the phone with you is making me worried and I don't even know her. That poor thing. Any type of cancer is a shock so she just may need a few days to herself. I pray that it is something that can be cured. Please keep us updated.

Hugs,
Kami